Saturday, February 20, 2016

Twenty-five tunes you've never heard because you were not listening: #2 Junior Kimbrough

Junior Kimbrough is my favorite Blues musician. As is apparent, he doesn't stick to the Twelve Bar Blues. I would describe his style as much more Folk Music than traditional or Chicago Blues. To barrow a phrase, I'd call Junior the Twenty-fist Century King of the Delta Blues. He once said something along these lines, "My songs have one chord. If I find another chord, I write a new song." It doesn't get much more Folk Music, American than this.


I would also add, Junior knew about more than just playing the guitar with titles like "Most things have not worked out," but "Gotta Try You Girl" really has the rawness that I feel best represents Juniors style.Turns out, there is also this which I had never heard. Perhaps we are getting somewhere here?

No comments:

Post a Comment