Friday, December 9, 2011

Paperback Friday: Charles Fort

Here's an icon of weird science. I got each of these books for twenty-five cents or less.

The Book of the Damned
Copyright, 1919 by Boni & Liveright
Copyright, 1941 by Holt, Reinhart & Winston, Inc.
An Ace Star Book by arrangement with Mrs. Tiffany Thayer

I bought this one for a dime at the Decatur Book Festival, Decatur, Ga. a few years ago. I purchased another old paperback at the time titled, Seven Masterpieces of Gothic Horror. If this book was actually printed in 1941 it has been well preserved.


Wild Talents; Copyright 1932 by Charles Fort
An Ace Book by arrangement with Mrs. Tiffany Thayer

I got this one at the Friends of the Knox Co. Library book sale earlier this year which means I probably paid 25 cents for it, I remember it was in the sci-fi and fantasy section. I read a bit of it while prepping for this post and the first section deals with spontaneous combustion and simultaneous deaths. Pretty weird stuff and, I think, going so far as to chronicle this info and have it published is even weirder.

I'm pretty sure that my copy of this book was published in the 1960s or 70s but there is no other date on the book except 1932. My archiving of the book cover certainly seems justified since I couldn't find this cover by an Internet search.

2 comments:

  1. I picked up my first Charles Fort's paperbacks, also in a Decatur - in Illinois. The paperbacks carry Fort's 1932 and other early copyrights, but I rather certain that Ace published these in the late 1960s-early 1970s.

    I tell you, towns named Decatur are rather Fortean.

    ReplyDelete
  2. By arrangement with Mrs. Tiffany Thayer? Well if Ace is getting the rights from the widow, then the books are obviously published from 1960 or later (Mr. Tiffany Thayer having died in 1959). Unless Ace was mixed up and decided Tiffany Thayer had to be a woman. From graphic design, I would date the top book 1961 and the bottom one about ten years later.

    ReplyDelete