Monday, February 28, 2011

Terrapin W-N-B Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout



When I was a younger beer drinker I preferred porter nearly exclusively to stout but our tastes are prone to change and I now love these microbrew dark beer styles. This one pours with slightest head and smells like coffee. The first sip is like coffee ice cream. The head quickly disappears but the carbonation is still hiding in this creamer liquid to tickle your (my) tongue. Each sip seems to sweeten with definite hints of lactobacilious malts.

There’s really no hops flavor that I can detect. This beer’s just full bodied roasted oatmeal malt. Near the end of the drink the Imperial alcohol throws an 8.1% abv curve ball to my head. The "W-N-B" in the title stands for "Why not beer" and the contents of this beer answer, "there's no reason why not." A very strong five out of five pint rating.

2 comments:

  1. Imperial Stouts are wonderful brews. Is the coffee flavor from coffee added? Or is it the result of the brew material & process on its own?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would say it is a good bit of both these. Coffee from an Athen, Ga. coffee brewery is added to the drink.

    ReplyDelete