Monday, January 17, 2011

We must have more beer on Monday!


On Christmas day I discovered a new beer available on the shelves at Walgreens Pharmacy. I don't usually buy beer from Walgreens but, it has been proven, that I'm a sucker for snazzy packaging and a bargain. This beer is Big Flats 1901 Lager. I should also mention that I have a weakness for old style American beers too. As much as I complain about Budweiser and refuse to have Coors Light in my home, small house beers like Big Flats remind me of my college days when cheap was a good indication that we'd have beer to drink.

The Big Flats label has a red ribon which lists it as a "Lager Beer." Well, a pils is a lager and this is definitely a pilsner style brew rather than a premium lager. Big Flats forms a nice head when poured into a pint glass but there's no head retention.. The flavor is the standard cereal grains and the sweet taste seems to increase with each sip. I'm beginning to see where the tradition of the frosted mug originated, the sweet taste seems to increase as the beer warms. I have had several of these beers over the past few weeks and I believe that Big Flats is best when consumed straight out of the can. There's no hops flavor to mention, just good ol' lawn mowin' beer.

Now, I have written about mediocre beers in three of my four beer reviews. Beginning next Monday I will limit the beer entries to quality brews, I promise. Next week’s beer will be a porter from an American micro-brewery.

3 comments:

  1. Have not seen it, but frankly with so may high quality beers waiting to be tasted I am hard pressed to take this seriously. Perhaps, someday, I'll be thirsty and this will be on ice and talking to me... until then....

    :-)
    Barad

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, some day it will be warm again and you need a cold one. Good beer coming on Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It really isn't all that bad as far as cheap lagers go. $3.49 for a sixer? Damn great price!

    Cheers!

    BB

    ReplyDelete